Tuesday, February 3, 2009

week 1 lecture- Components of the Neuron

We are currently discussing neurons and the way impulses are generated throughout our body to relay messages. We are learning the components of a neuron, it's surroundings and how they impact our daily living. I learned that neurons have a cell body, dendrites and an axon. One thing that I found interesting that is part of the make up of neurons are neuroglia. Neuroglia constitute about half the volume of the CNS. Brain tumors derived from glia, called gliomas tend to be highly malignant and to grow rapidly. About 1 1/2 years ago, my mother was diagnosed with a Brain Tumor. Prior to finding this, changes in my moms health, behavior and daily living seemed to change drastically. For about a year prior to the MRI that diagnosed my mom with a brain tumor, she experienced dizziness and feelings of being off balance on almost a daily basis. At this point, my mother was told that she had vertigo. After dealing with these symptoms for almost a year, she began to develop new symptoms. My mom began to have memory problems, forgetting even small things like pouring a cup of coffee. She seemed to be having an increase in difficulty concentrating. She also had the feeling of a band of pressure over her forehead. The type of brain Tumor that my mom was diagnosed with was an meningioma. Meningiomas affect the CNS by compressing brain tissue, nerves or associated structures causing reactive swelling in brain tissue which can block the flow of cerbrospinal fluid. My mom is doing ok and is being watched for further symptoms or growth of the tumor. Understanding the affects damage to your CNS can cause and reporting symptoms to your doctor, can help in diagnosing and treatment of CNS diseases.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! You and your family must be so grateful that her tumor was diagnosed when it was...I hope she is feeling/doing better. When you get a chance, ask your Mom about the medication(s)that she is taking, I am sure some of your classmates might be interested in knowing a little bit more about the medical management of meningiomas.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete